February commences month 2 of my pledge to wear no pants during 2011. This challenge started as sort of a joke, but was never that far from serious. The point? On the surface it’s simply a challenge, something to commit to for an entire year. A way to put myself in a box so I must be creative fighting out of it. Further than that, it’s a way of embracing classic femininity and fashion to create something powerful and expressive. Most importantly, I’m simply sick and tired of trying to find pants that fit my unbearably long legs.
Here are the lessons I have learned from the last 31 days:
- There is no limit to the usefulness of tights. I wear 3 pairs some days. They are worth extra money.
- Every pair of shoes you own will look fine with a cocktail dress.
- There is a reason leg warmers came back in style.
- In this adjustment period, it’s easy to forget you are wearing a short skirt when sitting down. Thank god for dark leggings.
- I have nice legs. Very nice legs.
I am very excited about spring when I can loosen up a bit (literally) and stop wearing so much spandex. My rules regarding no pants in the summer are a little bit more lax, shorts and rompers do not count as pants. On to February, a much colder month but one much more given to flirtatious skirts and inappropriate shoes. Wish me luck!